Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Casting Pearls Before Swine

Matthew 7:6 (esv)"Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs,lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you"
Adrian and I had a conversation this morning. We both feel like we have been casting pearls before swine. Giving our best and having it trampled on by the Liberian government because they would rather play politics than care for the children of their country. The Liberian government has done nothing to very little to help the most vulnerable of their country. We have been pouring in money, time, effort with little to no avail! I wouldn't say we are discouraged. I would say that if Lydia and Leo cannot come home then Adrian is done with adoption, at least for now. I know my husband and I know his heart. He needs time to process and heal. I can move on with things very quickly--We make a great team. He holds me back and I push him forward.
I wouldn't say I am an optimist or a pessimist, I am a realist. Right now given the current state of affairs adoptions will probably not be processed. I am not despairing. Is that what we as Christians call "The Peace that surpasses ALL understanding?" It must be!
Interestingly enough just past Matthew 7:6 it goes on to say, verse 7 through 11 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. for Everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!"
Now, just so we are clear, I am not saying that just because we ask, seek, and knock our children will come home. What I am saying is this. I read my Bible. It is full of desperate situations and God using them to show His power! God may show his power by releasing the children, He may choose to leave them in country. They will make a HUGE impact for Christ wherever they are. Leo loves the Lord. His letters are full of praise for Him.
At any rate we will be visiting Lydia and Leo in June. The Bible commands us to visit orphans. You don't have to go to Africa to do that. We were however; lead by God to care for these two children whom we love very very much. As much as possible as depends on us we will continue to support them and care for them. The Lord, who is ALWAYS faithful has provided the money to care for them through us. What an amazing thing!
For now we will continue to pray for and work with the three "fatherless" children in our home. They are lovely children. There are too many of God's children within 5 miles of our comfortable homes that won't eat today, that won't get a bedtime story or even a bed. They don't know who Jesus is and their parents need our help!
Wake up Church! Now is the time! Are you going to be a goat or a sheep?
Please pray for us as we continue to get ready for our trip in June. It is definitely taking on a whole new meaning for us!
There is so much more I want to say but I am going to copy and paste part of our directors blog here so you will know more about what is going on:

My main concern at this point is to figure out what is the best possible outcome for adoptive families and their children. There comes a point when the adoption process has gone on so long that the opportunity for a child to transition successfully into the adoptive family is at stake. What I am looking at now are two issues:

1. What are the chances that in 1-2 years, these kids will be coming home?
2. What are the chances that if a child is 3-4 years older than when the adoption process started, the family and child will be properly prepared for all of the challenges post adoption?

Since I have dealt with many successful adoptions and unfortunately, interacted with many children or families who have been part of a disrupted adoption from Liberia, I am all too aware that my goal as an adoption coordinator cannot be merely to get a child home. My goal has to be that every family will have a successful adoption and every child will gain a permanent, loving family.

I have talked with all of our adoptive families as well as the leadership for CAS and ACFI. Our plan is to gather more info. on the June trip and make a decision about whether or not the adoption program should continue. Unless, I can return feeling that these children have a strong chance of coming home in the next year or so, we cannot in good conscience continue the program. If it does not continue, we will figure out the best plan for families continuing with long term foster care of their children in Liberia and continue in our efforts to care for orphaned and indigent children who will remain in Liberia.

There are so many emotions involved in what seems to be a straightforward post. If I made room for them here, there wouldn't be enough space to present the information that I know many people want. There will be another day for that...

No comments: